Interview with a PSC alumna

Thursday 12 February 2015

Playfair Profile

There are already two generations of Professional Skills Curriculum graduates.           Lonie Sebagh, a fourth year Management student, was enrolled in the PSC course in the 2012-2013 academic year. She met with the PSC team to tell us the impact the Professional Skills Curriculum has had on her employability.

Why did you decide to take part in the Professional Skills Curriculum?

I met Catriona Wilson at the Freshers Fayre, and she told me about the content and benefits of the PSC course, which I thought sounded very interesting. I also started working towards the St Andrews Award at the time, which encourages participants to get involved in different activities during their time at University. It therefore seemed like a good idea to combine both programmes. This allowed me to apply the theoretical knowledge I gained in the PSC course to the activities I got involved in as part of the St Andrews Award.

Which lectures and online workshops did you take part in?

I attended the lectures on Understanding Thinking Styles, Assertiveness and Confidence and Public Speaking and completed the online workshops on Communication Skills, Managing a Team, Presentation Skills, Chairing Meetings and Taking Minutes and Professional Conduct.

How did the skills you gained through the PSC help you?

I found the Understanding Thinking Styles lecture very interesting. It helped me understand how my personality and work preferences could be utilised in conjunction with other people’s styles to increase efficiency. The Presentation Skills, Chairing Meetings and Professional Conduct workshops were also very useful before getting involved on University committees or starting professional internships.

Would you recommend taking part in the PSC? If so, why?

Of course! The PSC course has helped me become more confident and prepared about the experiences ahead, and it has allowed me to discover topics I never would have come across otherwise, such as the thinking styles for instance. Additionally, as a Management student, I study employee behaviour in organisations and the PSC has given me a new perspective on this topic and enhanced my understanding of it.